Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Not Really What We Wanted to Hear

BUT, not completely awful either.

Jenica got the "looks good" and "see you in six months" from her cardiologist. Then, it was on to Hematology. (I have to say, my trooper did fabulously this time around with the blood draw, the scariest part of the whole day). We meet with the head of Hematology and she explained that she believes Jenica may have what is known as von Willebrand disease, a blood disorder.

I've done some more research and found this site to be the most straightforward:
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/vWD/vWD_WhatIs.html

The up-side is that there is no treatment needed, just being cautious with her (always wear that helmet!!) and she will need to wear a special medical ID bracelet. The down-side is that this just seems to be one more thing. Argh!

We will know more in a few days, when more tests come back. And really, I hope that's IT for tests on my big girl for quite a while...

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed with that when I was younger and was having a tonsillectomy (sp?). It just meant my blood wasn't clotting well and they had to give me an extra shot of some kind of coagulant before surgery. As I've gotten older and mentioned it - I was tested and it came up negative. They said you can't outgrow it so i dunno if the original test was wrong or if I'm a freak of nature :)

    ReplyDelete